Values that a person cherishes speaks volumes to the person they are and the character they poses. I think everyone can agree on that.
The values I hold true are straight from the word of God. The fruits of the Spirit guides my life. The fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, and self-control. These are the “fruits” that I use as a compass for my values.
- I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. And I love others (my family and friends) because He (Jesus) first loved me. I serve Him by loving and caring for my family. He loved me so much that he blessed me with three beautiful children and a loving husband. I show love by serving others. Love is honest. A loving person has integrity. Love is not circumstantial, it is unconditional.
- I look for the joy in any situation. Some days maybe harder than others because we live in a fallen world, but I never stop looking for the joy, even if it’s just a glimmer of light. God gives us joy no matter the situations around us. Never stop looking for the joy.
- God gives us the peace that passes all understanding when we call to Him. Even if we think it’s too small to bring to God He is still there for us. There have been many days when I pray for peace during a child’s meltdown. He can give peace in all things, big or small.
- Patience is a virtue, right? Well, it’s very hard to remain on top of alone but with God all things are possible and all days are made new. In this life we will have trouble but the bible says that He will overcome this fallen world. We just need to rely on his grace to give us patience until then.
- We are called to have a kind heart. We can fulfill this calling in the simplest of ways. I show kindness by letting my hubby sleep in on his days off, making a meal for a friend, respond with love to a misbehaving child, and etc. The list could go on and on. I view kindness in close relation to acts of service.
- Self-Control is a hard thing to master. I believe it takes a lifetime of constant learning from ones past actions. I show self-control by not responding in a negative manner to anyone who pushes my buttons. Self-Control is knowing how to control your emotions and actions.
Without love, peace, patience, kindness, and self-control a successful mommy and family is nonexistent. That being said, we all make mistakes and are NOT perfect. I’m not perfect on any day of my life to show all the fruits of the spirit. But this is what I strive for every day.